• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there anyone that would explain Creative Cloud Assets & Libraries to me?

Contributor ,
Dec 07, 2016 Dec 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a pro user, been using Adobe for Print for like a million years. I've tried, always unsuccessfully, to use the Creative Cloud to manage assets. I just don't get it.

Today, I tried once more. I have hundreds of photos I'd like to have available online. I went to the Creative Cloud menu on the Finder bar, went to "Assets", opened the folder, made a Photos folder, added like 80 photos. Sweet. Now those photos are like... nowhere useful? I can access them through Creative Cloud online, great. I can download each photo to my desktop and use it. Well, Google Drive already does that, so this is useless. Wait, but I could add all these photos to a "Library" and now I can just drag and drop in InDesign... no, you can't move those Photos to a Library. Not sure why. Well, I'll just go into inDesign, create a Library and drag all the photos from my desktop onto it... but you can't. You can only drag assets that are opened on the app into the window. So I'd have to open hundreds of photos and drag each one of them to the library? That's crazy talk.

Is there a better tutorial somewhere? The Adobe site is just like 3 pages explaining this and it just circles back. Useless.

My company wants me to move all my photos, graphics and documents to Google Drive, but that sucks. You can't open anything straight from Google Drive, everything is a download. I was hoping I could move all my files to Creative Cloud since we pay for it and that would be my cloud solution.

Help!!

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your Creative Cloud folder syncs across all computers where you log in with your Creative Cloud account. Thus, if you put stuff in your Creative Cloud files, you'll be able to access them anywhere once it syncs to that computer.

Does that make sense?

It's like Dropbox. It acts like it's a local file (and it kind of is), but it's synced through your account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I've seen those links but don't answer much for me.

I understand the rough functionality of it. But for example, can I drag photos/illustrations that I've added to Creative Cloud into an Indesign document? Drag and drop? I know I can, I imagine slowly and painfully, drag assets from Illustrator into my Libraries one by one and create a library which then can be shared with my team. In theory. Mostly I've experienced assets missing or links broken.

Now say I have 1,000 images. How do I add them to (whatever you want to call it, Assets or Library), so then they can be available to my Adobe applications in a menu so I can see thumbnails and browse and then drag or double click? If I can only do this through a browser, then is just like using Dropbox, so why not just use Dropbox?

I initially thought "Assets" where like the raw unorganized files, which can then be re-organized in "Libraries". But they're not.

What's the different between assets and library items? Why can't i take assets and put them into libraries?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Juan Cano wrote:

If I can only do this through a browser, then is just like using Dropbox, so why not just use Dropbox?

I assume you are referring to a file browser and not a web browser because both Dropbox and the Creative Cloud files can be accessed on your local hard drive through Explorer on Windows or Finder on Mac.

And CC vs. Dropbox because CC is included in your subscription. Otherwise, yes; Dropbox. Easy to set up sharing folders there with clients.

Juan Cano wrote:

What's the different between assets and library items? Why can't i take assets and put them into libraries?

There is an assets section in the CC app that's kind of like a store. Those assets are clip art type things - free stuff you can use in a project. Those can be "shopped for" and added to your Creative Cloud account so they are available for your use, but I don't think that's what you're asking about.

Other than adding things to a library inside of an app, I don't know of a way to make files available inside other apps. I'd just as soon use Dropbox or your Creative Cloud files for the kind of thing you're describing. You can just grab files out of Windows Explorer or Finder and throw them into Photoshop and the like pretty easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I understand being able to drag items from the Finder window; I guess that's a solution. The only issue is that with the limited SSD drives on these Macs, if all my assets have to live on my HD and then sync to the Cloud, my HD will fill up quick. So I would like to dump stuff to Creative Cloud and that's it, not on my HD anymore. But then I can't drag/drop from the finder and then have to browse and download through a web browser.

I'm playing with Google Drive now and I bought a lightning HD to sync to Google Drive because we have just so many assets. Google is not a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2018 Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then to Juan's point: what's the point of even having a Creative Cloud asset library if those assets can't be made available inside each Adobe app? Adobe needs to make these files available within at least the top core apps: Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere. If it's in the works to do so already, why not tell us that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The user interface for Creative Cloud files/assets and libraries has evolved a bit since this video and overview page were created, but they still give good high-level overviews of the kinds of things you can do:

Learn how to use Creative Cloud Assets to store, manage, and share your Creative Cloud content—including files synced from the Creative Cloud desktop apps, mobile apps, and Creative Cloud Libraries.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/how-to/assets-get-started.html

Sync, Store, Share Files from Desktop to Creative Cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines