• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Retina display support for indesign urgently needed!

New Here ,
Dec 11, 2012 Dec 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is been said before but indesign really is unworkable for long periods of time without getting a headache. It is a program designed for text and when that text is unreadable it's a problem. Please please please update this soon.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Then I'm afraid you're going to have to make due with what you have. CS6 will not be updated for HiDPI displays.

You should keep in mind that as a CS6 license holder you can get the entire Creative Cloud package fof the first year for only $20/month. Your call of course.

That offer expires at the end of July.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Dec 11, 2012 Dec 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of right now the only Retina updates are for Photoshop and Illustrator. You can make text more readable by increasing the virtual resolution in display settings:

HT5266_2-retina-display_preferences_scaled-001-en.png

Select more space from the scaled resolution options. This will make panels smaller, but will make text sharper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2013 Jan 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Adobe since PSD 2 and 3 on the macintosh platform I noticed Adobe was always slow to adapt to the Mac tech. I think it's shameful to let us pay full retail and delivery an old school interface. As a billion dollar company you should have the resources to develop these screen adjustment from day one rather quickly. Sometimes one wishes Apple bought this company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you wish Apple did but I'm quite happy knowing they didn't.

As for your remarks, Adobe has been adapting to Apple's changes as

quickly as possible. Are you under the impression that Adobe somehow has

advanced notice of these hardware changes?

Because if you think they get inside information you are sadly mistaken.

Have patience. Photoshop and Illustrator are done and both have been

decarbonized.

InDesign still hasn't been and that may or may not be the hold up.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Have patience. Photoshop and Illustrator are done and both have been

decarbonized."

That's my point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you think that decarbonizing an app is some simple little process? If

so, once again you are mistaken.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2013 Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, I apprechiate you are chiming in however this message was intended for Adobe ppl. I do feel as a long time Adobe user I am being let down. And it's very annoying to hear form a fellow board member everything is good and peechy. Let the staff members tell me the PR spin. There is really no sugar coding it on this matter.

Best,

D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are USER forums, not a direct channel to Adobe tech staff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sdg,

I understand your disappointment and frustration about the fact that InDesign doesn't have an immediate update to support Apple's new “Retina” displays.

What you must understand is that Apple gave Adobe absolutely no advanced warning about these new displays or indication that it would not be compatible with the existing “carbon” program interfaces. Maybe you should also be let down with Apple as well!

Adobe was and is in process of converting InDesign to remove the use of the “carbon” interfaces from InDesign and use the newer OS interfaces that provide for compatibility with the “Retina” displays. However, as perhaps Adobe's most complex software product, implementing and testing such changes is much more difficult and time-consuming than for smaller products such as Illustrator and Photoshop. They have been in progress since even before the release of CS6. The support for “Retina” along with the common interface (choice of dark or light) will be available for the next major release of InDesign.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov, thanks for the long explanation. I do find it hard to believe after Apple released a few years ago the iPhone and iPad retina, that Adobe didn't anticipated the move towards larger displays. Seems like a clear business evolution in the market.

I don't even want to argue. I cross my fingers that the whole CS suites sees an update quick. I looks a lot better crisp.

Have a good weekend and thanks again everyone for their feedback.

Best,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2013 Jan 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry if this sounds harsh, but you could enable HiDPI as far ago as December 2011, see this article: http://www.cultofmac.com/132751/enable-retina-like-hidpi-display-modes-in-os-x-lion-video-how-to/

I know plenty of OS X and iOS developers and as soon as that info came out they a) started planning for the transition and b) pretty much knew how Apple will handle high-resolution displays (same as they did on iOS—by doing resolution doubling).

If Adobe was somehow "surprised" by this then they have a bunch of idiot managers on their InDesign team. And, no, it’s not Apple’s fault that Adobe’s apps don’t use Cocoa’s UI controls but are instead going for some weird ass, half-flash-half-not combination of a home grown UI framework monstrosity. They’ve been trying to have a "magic" UI framework that works across Windows and OS X for over a decade and it has never worked well (at least not on the Mac side). You’d think they'd learn it one day, but apparently idiot corporate policies like "Flash is an app development framework, now!" trump pragmatic engineering decisions.  

As for the non UI, content rendering—if it works at 200% zoom, it works with HiDPI.

To be honest, seeing how little in terms of innovative features Illustrator gets I was really surprised by its retina support being out as quick—and InDesign’s being MIA.

It’s fascinating that Apple can make do with Cocoa which is at its core a UI framework that is over a decade old while Adobe has been fumbling around like a bunch of amateurs.

And, yes, this post was brought to you by having to work with InDesign over the weekend on a retina MacBook Pro and googling to see if or when an update is forthcoming. *grumble*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 13, 2013 Jan 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

frodee,

With regards to be being able to enable HiDPI as are ago as December 2011, CS6 was already locked down in terms of featues and functionality by December 2011. The code was only open for significant bug fixes. And HiDPI was not going to be implemented until the transition from Carbon to Cocoa was complete, a process that will be complete with the next full version of InDesign.

The issue of Carbon and Cocoa has been discussed numerous times in various threads in multiple Adobe forums and I will not rehash it, but Cocoa was a work-in-progress for many years and did not have all the system interfaces required and used by InDesign, an application which is much more complex than any of the relatively simple Apple applications and even Adobe's Photoshop and Illustrator applications. Cocoa wasn't ready for prime time when the transition was made to MacOS X or when the transition was made from PowerPC to Intel processors. Must of Adobe's engineering bandwidth was spent making both of those transitions, neither of which were at all trivial (in the latter case, Apple's XCode tools couldn't even compile the Adobe applications and much time was spent working directly with Apple to resolve these issues as quickly as possible!)

And yes, Adobe software does and will continue to work cross-platform. That is a requirement of our user base, Mac fanatics notwithstanding.

And by the way, your own credibility is not particularly enhanced by snarky remarks with regards to Adobe's engineering and corporate management (i.e., “idiot managers on their InDesign team” and “idiot corporate policies”). What are your engineering and product management credentials?

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will this issue be resolved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lanu,

InDesign CC, which came out this week now supports Retina displays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, except that I just barely got cs6 and I really cannot afford a

subscription-especially long term like I need!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then I'm afraid you're going to have to make due with what you have. CS6 will not be updated for HiDPI displays.

You should keep in mind that as a CS6 license holder you can get the entire Creative Cloud package fof the first year for only $20/month. Your call of course.

That offer expires at the end of July.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the info. I have read other places that engineers may be

working on a cs6 update similar to te photoshop and illustrator updates,

but I don't know how accurate that is. Also- if I subscribe to cc for a few

months and then stop- do I have access to the program but not the updates

or do I loose all access to the program?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(1)     No, Adobe is not working on an update for InDesign 8 (CS6) to support hidpi monitors either for MacOS or Windows. As indicated earlier in this thread and in others, quite a bit of re-engineering of all of InDesign was necessary to access the hidpi capabilities of the newer Macintoshes udner MacOS and the result is InDesign 9 (CC). Sorry!

(2)     If you subscribe to the Adobe Creative Cloud and then discontinue your subscription, you have no further access at all to the software.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2014 Jul 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So basically those of us who forked out for CS6 and have a macbook pro retina are being forced to subscribe to CC or we can no longer use the laptop to work in indesign! Ridiculous. Extremely unimpressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody is forcing you to do anything. Nobody forced you to buy a MacBook Pro with retina either.

You should probably be complaining to Apple about their poor scaling with non-retina compatible applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob Levine wrote:

You should probably be complaining to Apple about their poor scaling with non-retina compatible applications.

Like they would care...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good point, but at least people would be aiming at the correct target.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2012 Dec 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do agree. I have spent more than 2.500,- for a Macbook Retina plus a few thousand for CS6 and the result is an ugly bitmapped screen I cannot show to customers at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2013 Jan 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree. Thanks for the advice Alec, but user interface elements are tiny enough without displaying them at 220 ppi. That might work if you have better than 20/20 eyesight. And we shouldn't have to strain our eyes trying to use the program in order to not strain our eyes looking at text. Just update InDesign as soon as you can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2013 Jan 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agreewith Sam. Don't see why end users should have to factor in the technical logistics here, we're not the ones getting paid to write software. It's been a while since Retina hit the wire, other publishers have gotten across it. Am looking forward to a more usable version of InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines