• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wishlist and speculating on Lightroom 5

Enthusiast ,
Nov 08, 2012 Nov 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news, ideas thoughts of the next iteration of Lightroom?

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Jan 31, 2013 Jan 31, 2013

Pbeck1 wrote:

I'd be interested if anybody else agreed?

I disagree.  The numbers should show the current setting, whatever that might be, even if the default is there and the default is still set at zero.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 146 Replies 146
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Standard response - "those who know can't say, and those who do say don't know".

But feel free to chat about what you'd like to see!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was thinking more on the lines of

• will it be more efficient
  • will there be less issues with bottlenecking, hyperthreading, waiting waiting
  • will it work better
  • will it be more streamlined
  • will the keywording be better
  • will the book option be tied into a company that does not exist in many countries in the world making shipping very expensive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John,

but that is the peoples wishes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. As Victoria said, feel free to chat about what you'd like to see.

Can be useful to trigger ideas. And Adobe reads them.

As for what is definitely planned per your original post: due to NDAs no-one can say until LR5 is released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah - I know the NDA stuff,

here's hoping they listened to

• the speed issues
  • the clone / heal issues
  • the book issues
  • the speed issues
  • mark as final version issues
  • the streamlining issues
  • the speed issues
  • relative presets
  • More Photoshop like clone/healing/content aware brushes in Lightroom!
  • Multi-User / Multi Computer (Shared catalog on a network)
  • Photoshop/Lightroom: Provide preference and preset syncing via the cloud! (Brushes, Actions, Tools, Workspaces, etc)
  • Better keyword management
  • Display camera focus information
  • Lightroom: Allow for keyboard shortcut customization
  • Lightroom: A real plugin architecture to make TIFF files unnecessary
  • Better Preset Organization (sub-folders, tag, search)
  • Lightroom: Colour coding folders and collections to simplify navigation & cataloging
  • Lightroom: Support Common Image Formats (EPS, GIF, PNG, PDF, etc.)
  • Lightroom: Add Retina Display support (new Macbook Pro)
  • Lightroom: Ability to create custom book templates/sizes from scratch
  • Lightroom: Better Library Module performance
  • Lightroom: Ability to lock photos. Please protect me from myself!
  • Lightroom: Gradient Eraser Request

and that is just page 1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What they will actually do I believe is fix one or two things, then add

1 or 2 new features that will make people want to buy the new version,

whether it works well or not. That's how companies work now, and V4 of

LR is testament to that.

Mine is virtually unusable but I can't get it fixed and can't get a

refund....

V5 is so far off my radar I can tell you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EEish - howmanypigginnamesdoitry

That is not fun. I had a lot of help or rather "Give us some more info" from Geoff the Kiwi the other week, then nothing, but I expect he's busily researching my questions..... (tumbleweed rolls across the deserts of NZ)

There were some noises the other week about a new RAW processing program which seemed to be lightning fast and started the images with a pleasing default.

Its a real shame that this software after 4 iterations is not kind to many users, but here's hoping that LR5 will be improved and streamlined even if it has few new applications, just raw power and speed will make most of the users happy.

lets see what happens...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm actually very happy with what 3.6 offers, which is why I'm sticking

with it now.

If V4 had even the same performance as V3.6, but the extra features, it

would have imho been a winning programme.

As you said lets wait and see but I won't be rushing to upgrade in the

first year of V 5 now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 31, 2013 Jan 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

howmanypigginnamesdoitry wrote:

I'm actually very happy with what 3.6 offers, which  is why I'm sticking

with it now.

If V4 had even the same performance as V3.6, but the extra features, it

would have imho been a winning programme.

Me too.  I am sticking to v3.6 for the same reason, plus the fact Adobe released LR4 only 32 days after I purchase LR3 and then refused to give me a free upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When i HAVEN'T adjusted a particular slider at all, it's default value is displayed (normally a zero). In the Lightroom options I would like to be able to toggle the display of these default values on and off, i.e display nothing there instead of the default value.

I like to check all my sliders for each picture after i have finished editing them, and find all those zeros a big distraction. Far better to have nothing displayed there if i haven't touched that slider.

An option to turn this on and off in the Lightroom options would be great (for me at least).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pbeck1 wrote:

I disagree.  The numbers should show the current setting, whatever that might be, even if the default is there and the default is still set at zero.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, i totally understand that everybody would have their own preferences. I would still like to have the option myself to turn the display of the default values on or off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see some value in your idea Pbeck1. - I often will enter a tiny value near zero just to mean "zero as adjusted / intentional", as opposed to "not yet considered".

Cheers,

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I personally don't see the value in it as it presumes every slider should be adjusted and there are other ways of tagging where an image is in a workflow.  That said, I'm all in favor of configurable user preferences as everyone's workflow is different.  So long as it doesn't interfere with LR's operational performance which is 100% of my v5 wishlist.  Pure performance enhancement in every aspect of use.

Interesting idea, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think my reason for it is just for checking purposes when i think i have finished adjusting the image.

For example, say i have a photo where i have played around with it for a while in Lightroom, and eventually & finally settle for just adjusting just the exposure and blacks. When i do my final check on the sliders (like i do) i feel it would be great to look at the slider values and only see values for only the ones that have been adjusted. For me that would make it much easier to see in one glance only what has been adjusted and for me to then look at the actual image and compare visually. I dont see the value in having to visually scan all those zero's too.

I dont think my idea really helps with the odd photo being edited here and there, but when i have lots to do in one go i end up getting eye strain and tired, and wish all those zero's wern't there, lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jay Mitchosky wrote:

it presumes every slider should be adjusted

Not so sure about that part.

I prefer to think of it as:

A thoroughly scrutinized / optimized photo has at least had every aspect considered, whether adjusted or not, and a cheap and dirty way to have that reflected in the slider UI style would obviate the need to muck around with metadata & notes... for keeping track.

Honestly, this is such a small deal to me that I don't even know why I'm participating in this discussion about it...

But if Adobe did have some extra time on their hands, a way to condition UI of various adjustments to indicate status would be OK with me.

Bonus idea: condition UI section header to indicate whether all adjustments are zero, and if all zero, whether that has been given the scrutinizing editor's stamp of approval.

Definition of "condition" - display slightly differently, depending on...

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2013 Feb 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob Cole wrote:

Definition of "condition" - display slightly differently, depending on...

Although LR4 already does that. Import values (including "As Shot" white balance settings, as well as all those zeroes) are "dimmed", whereas any user adjustment value is "high-lighted". Even with my rickety eyesight ANY slider adjustments stand out.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My main wish for Lightroom 5, is that they look at Cyberlink

PhotoDirector, and see how easy it is to build a lightning fast,

reliable program with even MORE functions than LR 4.

Even ZonerStudio kicks LR4 into touch.

I'm done with LR, so I wish you all lots of luck with this unreliable,

bug ridden, sloppily coded piece of rubbish and I wish you all well in

your new roles as software testers, I'm off to do some photography.

Bye.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My main wish for Lightroom 5, is that they look at Cyberlink

PhotoDirector, and see how easy it is to build a lightning fast,

reliable program with even MORE functions than LR 4.

Even ZonerStudio kicks LR4 into touch.

I'm done with LR, so I wish you all lots of luck with this unreliable,

bug ridden, sloppily coded piece of rubbish and I wish you all well in

your new roles as software testers, I'm off to do some photography.

Bye.

howmanypigginnamesdoitry

I'm a little sad for you that you're having bug problems with Lightroom. I do find it puzzling as i have never come across any bugs myself (on 3 different computers), and after long use. I find the program to be 100% reliable and i trust it completely. Perhaps you have a unique local problem on your computer that's making Lightroom behave a bit differently than how it's supposed too?

Perhaps you could try re-installing it, or even cleaning your registry or something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2013 Mar 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree about the pro vs lite version of LR... I can see the use of face recognition IF the system was mature and reliable.  In working with some DAM developers, most admit that the technology is not mature enough to accurately predict faces in all but the best of situations (lighting/size)... if the technology were able to be accurate, this would be a great benefit for professional event photogs... and for the amateur (think about auto=keywording based solely on face identification)... AWESOME!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bye.

Please come back after a few months and let us know how you are fareing with your non-Lightroom solution.

So far, I've decided Lr is best of the bunch, but to be honest, so far, I've not been very impressed with "the bunch".

I keep hoping another vendor will come and blow the world away with a new converter that has great features, high quality, and is also stable, and fast, but so far, none has been able to deliver all.

Bon voyage to you too,

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jim01403 wrote:

LR4 already does that.

Yep, so it does .

Good enough for me,

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although LR4 already does that. Import values (including "As Shot" white balance settings, as well as all those zeroes) are "dimmed", whereas any user adjustment value is "high-lighted". Even with my rickety eyesight ANY slider adjustments stand out.....

Ok, perhaps a simple option to be able to set 'how' dimmed the dimming is, and being able to completely dimm too (if desired)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines