Here’s a very helpful resource out from James Wamser – a complete reference to all versions and features of Adobe Illustrator from CS6 to CC 2023… Similar to his InDesign and Photoshop handbooks, it’s called the Adobe Illustrator New Features Guide: From CS6 to CC – and this 63-page ebook is available for free download now:
This PDF guidebook comprehensively reviews and compares what’s new in each successive revision of Illustrator going from CS6 in 2012 up to the current CC 2023 release – and covers the details of all the major new features and material improvements along the way.
It’s a great compilation of what many people want to know when they ask what’s different between versions… Typically you’ll find articles (like this one) that give the primary differences between two single releases, but never before has there been coverage as thorough as Mr. Wamser has carefully compiled with this work – and you can get it instantly here:
Just look for the “Download PDF” icon at the lower right of your browser, once you pull up the book.
It’s also helpful to consult when you need to save back for previous versions of Illustrator (where the featuresets and file formats are older) – this way you’ll know which capabilities prior releases can support, and which they cannot.
Special: Legally download dozens of free Adobe books for a limited time!
Here’s the story on how this guidebook was put together:
About: This guide was created by James Wamser, an Adobe Certified Instructor, to use as a reference while teaching. Feel free to share your comments, errors or how you use it:
Community Help: Thanks to Steve Werner for his help.
New Features: Taken primarily from Adobe.com, Adobe’s New Features documents and Adobe Press Releases.
- Adobe Illustrator was first developed for the Apple Macintosh as a commercialization of Adobe’s in-house font development software and PostScript file format.
- In January 1987, Illustrator 1.0 was launched (Mac only).
- May 6, 2013 – Creative Cloud was announced at Adobe MAX in Los Angeles, and dropped on June 17, 2013.
Install now: Get all new Creative Cloud 2024 direct download links and free trials.
What’s New in Illustrator 2023? [Video]
- The 10 most common myths about Creative Cloud
- How to save 60% with the Student & Teacher Editions
- Free! Watch 200+ new courses from Adobe MAX
- Don’t need full Cloud? Get PS + LR for $9.99/month
- Download free Adobe books (choose over 30 titles)
- How to join Adobe’s Creative Cloud for free
Do you have any questions about Illustrator? Just ask them below and we’ll get you answers fast!
Keep up with the latest on Adobe software — follow us on Facebook or Twitter, or subscribe to our RSS feed… You can also enter your email and have new articles sent directly to your Inbox. We are reader-supported; when you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.