Adobe Lightroom 4: Now Shipping — And Affordable
Yes – Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 is just out and now shipping! Pretty much on the timeframe we forecast, you can download a free trial today… And the new product will work side-by-side with any previous releases of Lightroom you may own. If you have an earlier version installed, Lightroom 4 will ask if you’d like to upgrade your catalog and copy everything over.
And the big news is – HUGE price drop! The price is now only US$149 for the full version (half the previous cost of LR3), and just $79 to upgrade from any previous version (LR1, LR2, or LR3 of any kind)… Students and teachers can grab the full education edition also now for $79.
International versions are priced lower across the board as well. Languages available today include English, French, German, Japanese, Italian, Dutch, Swedish, Spanish, Portuguese, Korean, and Chinese.
Moments ago Adobe also redoubled their longstanding special offer where you can get 33% more off the price of Lightroom (now making it $99!) when you purchase it together with Photoshop (full or upgrade) – only now it’s Lightroom 4 with Photoshop CS6 (or any suite containing Photoshop CS6). No coupon or promo code is required for the discount.
Also, if you happened to purchase Lightroom 3 within the past 30 days, then if you like you can file to return it under Adobe’s Refund Policy and order Lightroom 4 instead. It’s not an official “grace period,” but it works.
Special: Legally download dozens of free Adobe books for a limited time!
Lightroom 4 is designed for Windows 7, Vista, or Mac OS (see full system requirements). Regrettably the ten-year-old Windows XP is no longer supported. On Windows there are both 32-bit and 64-bit versions, but the 64-bit install can run faster. For Macs, you must have a 64-bit system (here’s how to tell). LR4 is sold as multiplatform software, meaning it can be installed on either Mac OS X or Windows and will deliver the same features and functions on both. And similar to CS6, you may be able to install Lightroom on up to two computers, subject to the terms of the software license agreement.
What’s New in Lightroom 4?
- Highlight and shadow recovery
- Photo book creation
- Location-based (GPS) organization
- Extended video support
- White balance brush
- Enhanced DNG support
- Soft proofing
- Easy video publishing
- Additional local editing controls
- Enhanced online sharing integration
- Emailing directly from Lightroom
- Importing libraries from other software
What’s different in the final release compared to the recent LR4 beta version? According to Adobe, not too much in additional features – but rather making the new things work even better. The LR team cites five relatively minor changes, plus “Over 800 bugs found and fixed! (Thank you Lightroom 4 beta customers!)”
Note that the beta version will expire on March 31, at which point you could either buy the full & final product, or get the trial for another 30 days free.
Adobe Lightroom 4 Direct Download Links
|More Direct Download Links|
Below are the direct links to instantly download the Lightroom 4 free trials for both PC and Mac, without needing any download manager or assistant. The trial works fully for 30 days. To access these downloads you need to have a free Adobe account and be logged in – so follow these important instructions carefully or the links will not work:
- Adobe recommends temporarily turning off any surfing restrictions you might have running, like site or cookie blocking, filtering, firewalls or antivirus software.
- Click «HERE» to visit this page first, before clicking the links below – this is critical!
- If asked, sign in with your Adobe ID or take a minute to create one for yourself (free).
- Click the big blue “Download” button at the bottom of that Adobe page – but then immediately cancel the download that starts, and close the windows that popped up.
- OK! Now you’re logged in at Adobe with the trials cookie set, so you can instantly download any of the software below. Just make sure you have enough disk space.
- Download the files either by clicking directly on the DDL links, or by right-clicking and choosing “Save Link As…” on the popup menu.
- Open or double-click the downloaded file to start the product installation.
Perfect, now you’re all set – here are the Lightroom 5 direct links:
- LR4 for Windows (719 MB) – Direct download link – All languages
- LR4 for Mac OS (384 MB) – Direct download link – All languages
Wrapping It Up
So with the benefit of nearly two years of product development since the previous version plus the beta period under its belt, this fourth-generation digital darkroom is looking like a very smooth and polished final release. And the new low price, wow… thank you Adobe!