Adobe Unveils Free Lightroom 5 Public Beta Version – Download Now
[UPDATE (June 10th) – The Lightroom 5 final release is now shipping!]
Adobe has just announced a free public beta release of the eagerly-anticipated Photoshop Lightroom 5, with new tools and advancements to develop, enhance and share your digital photographs… Lightroom 5 provides photographers with an elegant and efficient way to work with their growing digital image collections, bring out the best in their images, and make an impact from raw capture to creative output, all while maintaining the highest possible quality each step of the way.
“The Lightroom team is proud to introduce the fifth major version of the product designed for and by photographers. We’ve been hard at work improving an application that’s intended to be as easy to use as it is powerful. This release builds on the image quality improvements in Lightroom 4 to provide a truly complete workflow and imaging solution. We encourage you to try the beta release and provide your feedback to the product team.”
Available as a free public download for Windows and Mac, the Lightroom 5 beta is a limited-time preview of new features and capabilities that will be offered in the final release of LR5, expected in mid-2013 and available separately as well as part of the Creative Cloud.
New Features in Lightroom 5 Beta
Here’s the quick hit list of what’s new – for more details check out the Lightroom Journal or the “LR5 Top 5” video below:
- Performance Improvements – Lightroom 5 user interactivity is quicker and faster.
- Smart Previews – Edit and showcase your images while offline from the originals.
- Advanced Healing Brush – Heal or clone using brush strokes of any shape or form.
- Radial Filter – Apply any of LR’s local adjustment attributes with a circular mask.
- Upright Tool – Automatically level horizons, straighten buildings, & correct askew lines.
- New Visualize Spots Tool – Highlights sensor dust spots for easy removal.
- Slideshows with Videos and Still Images – Bring images, video clips & music together.
- Improved Photo Book Creation – Customize with templates, captions, and more.
- PNG File Support
- True Full Screen Mode
- And more – Almost 50 additional features and JDIs.
LR5 Beta Download Availability
The free Lightroom 5 beta program is open and available to the public. Anyone with an Internet connection can download and test it out in full. You do not need to own (or have tried) a previous version of Lightroom, and there is no serial number required. The Lightroom 5 beta will not overwrite or interfere with any existing installation of Lightroom 1, 2, 3, or 4.
You can download the beta immediately and use it freely until the product expires at the end of June. Please see this detailed post for the minimum system requirements and installation instructions, as well as more information on the new features and known issues. One possible hiccup for some users is that Lightroom 5 is not supported on Mac OS 10.6 or Windows Vista systems or lower.
Also be sure to give your feedback to the Adobe developers…
Introduction to Lightroom 5
And here’s a great video review from Creative Evangelist Terry White to get you started…
The final version of Lightroom 5 will be included automatically in the Creative Cloud – and if you’re not a member yet, now is a fantastic time to sign up because Adobe is offering a special one-time 40% discount until the 19th of April.
For Lightroom 4, the Current Release
- Fast Facts: Our LR4 Release Overview
- How-to: Learn the Top 10 Techniques for Lightroom 4
- Adobe Product Comparison: Photoshop CS6 vs. Lightroom 4
- Four Hours of Free Tutorials for Lightroom 4, plus Other Resources
- What’s New in Lightroom 4 vs. Lightroom 3 vs. Lightroom 2?
- Lightroom Presets/Settings: How to Export Photos to the iPad
- Lightroom 4 Free Trial: Direct Download Links