How to Join Adobe’s Creative Cloud for Free
You likely also saw Adobe’s announcement that there won’t be a CS7 release, and that all of the new CC versions of creative desktop tools are available via the Creative Cloud only – with over a dozen free app updates already added since that time.
But did you know that no matter what you do, you can sign up right now for a zero-cost class of membership that never expires and provides free benefits for life? Anyone can have this in 58 countries worldwide, even if you use the perpetual products instead, or even if you use no other Adobe tools or services at all.
Here is all of what you get completely free, permanently:
- Two gigabytes of cloud space for storing, syncing, and sharing your files online (same as Dropbox). The content your Adobe project/data files (like PSD or AI) can be intelligently viewed in any browser, in application-specific ways… Viewers (including clients and non-Cloud members) can easily turn layers on and off, display relevant metadata, make comments, optionally download the files, and more – all without needing any tools.
- A full non-expiring desktop license for Adobe Edge Animate 1.5 – download a brand new tool for creating interactive and animated web content with HTML5 technology.
- Unrestricted use of Edge Web Fonts, a vast collection online fonts served forever to any website(s) of your choosing. Now over 500 free hosted typefaces to choose from!
- Full lifetime access to Edge Code, an in-context code editor for web developers.
- Game Developer Tools to build, optimize, and deliver web and mobile games – including free Adobe Scout and Adobe Flash C++ Compiler.
- Free for one mobile device: Edge Inspect (formerly Adobe Shadow) to easily preview your work live on your device from the desktop in fast, remote-controlled fashion.
- No charge get started with Typekit commercial fonts: choose two online professional font faces from nearly 1,000 available to use on a single website.
- Unlimited access to free Adobe Story screenwriting software to turn your ideas into screenplays and scripts.
- Integration of Behance’s community and portfolio capabilities, allowing you to seamlessly create content, seek feedback, showcase and distribute your work. Behance now has over two million members receiving over 150 million page views per month, and is a fantastic way to get exposure from like-minded creatives.
- Plus… fast and easy access to the free trials of all the new CC tools and other Adobe applications, such as Muse and Business Catalyst for creating websites. Even if you previously ran a CS6 product trial, you still receive a fresh new 30-day tryout period with the upgraded “CC” release. And every time Adobe does a major upgrade to the software going forward (expected to be annually), you’ll get another new free trial.
How to get all this? Well if you already have an Adobe ID then all it takes is confirming the free signup. If you don’t have an Adobe ID yet, then it’s just six fields to fill out and no credit card needed.
If you later decide to join the Creative Cloud as a full paying subscriber, then you’ll keep all of the above – plus add the following:
- Full access to the complete Adobe CC toolset, Lightroom 5, Acrobat XI Pro, Typekit, Edge Inspect, PhoneGap, and more.
- Use of the latest creative technology from Adobe with ongoing upgrades included as soon as they become available – you can always run the most recent product version.
- You also have the ability to download, install and use older releases like CS6 Master Collection (together on the same machines as CC) if you want or need to.
- Access to 20 GB of online storage and other services from Adobe such as free Creative Cloud Training produced by industry-leading partners.
- Full access to new and additional products that are not available through traditional perpetual licenses, such as Adobe Muse, Behance ProSite, and Story Plus.
- Create and submit an unlimited number of iPad apps using the Digital Publishing Suite Single Edition.
- Receive five free hosted websites that you can easily create using Adobe’s Business Catalyst hosting platform.
- Flexible and modest payments through monthly and yearly subscription options.
And if you ever stop or cancel your paid subscription, you will retain all benefits of the free membership for life.
Creative Cloud: Compare Free vs. Paid Memberships
Here’s a chart that should help illustrate – click for more details:
Do you have any further questions on what Creative Cloud is about, or how the free membership compares versus the paid/complete membership? Check out our extensive Creative Cloud FAQ, or just ask them below and we’ll get you answers fast!