What Are the Limitations of the Adobe Student & Teacher Editions?
The Adobe Student and Teacher Editions look like a great deal. They offer big discounts, as much as 75% off normal prices. They’re available for most of Adobe’s most popular products, including Creative Suite 6, Lightroom 5, Acrobat XI, Elements 12, and the Creative Cloud. They can be purchased by anyone who qualifies – primary and secondary school students, homeschoolers, college or university students, faculty, teachers, and administrators. Even part-time students or teachers can be eligible, and there is no age limitation. They’re available pretty much worldwide in many languages on both Windows and Mac, and you don’t need any kind of coupon or promotion code to get the deep discounts.
So what’s the catch? Is the Academic software different or limited somehow? Is there any sort of time restriction, time limit, or time out – do Adobe Student Editions expire? Or are they unusable for commercial purposes?
The answer to all of these questions is fortunately no: the perpetual Education products are identical in features and functionality in every respect to the current standard versions – the only differences are the prices and some of the licensing terms… The prices, as mentioned, are a real bargain – for example, instead of US$999 for Adobe Photoshop CS6 Extended, you pay only $349; instead of $1,899 for CS6 Design & Web Premium (Adobe’s most popular suite which contains seven major products including Photoshop Extended), you get it for $599.
And for the Creative Cloud – Adobe’s new all-inclusive offering which contains the entire CS6 Master Collection plus much more, essentially every major industry-leading tool that they make – there is also now a Student & Teacher Edition available that costs only $19 a month (instead of $49) which means you’re getting it for 60%-70% off the regular price, depending on the country. So this new Creative Cloud option is even more affordable for students than the traditional educational versions, but differs in that you get and use everything based on an annual membership.
[ Which option is right for you? See: Creative Suite 6 vs. Creative Cloud ]
Since Creative Suite 5, all Student and Teacher Editions can be utilized for personal as well as commercial use, for all academic customers worldwide. So yes, you can sell your services or anything you create, or use these products in developing a side business or online venture. And after graduation or completion of coursework, you can continue to use the perpetual software on your personal systems; there is no usage expiration and those tools will continue to work.
But it’s true there are some limitations as compared to the regular versions… though happily they are all fairly minor. Here are the differences between the education editions vs. the normal (professional/commercial) versions:
- Each eligible person may purchase only one copy of each academic product per platform per year. Fortunately, each tool and suite and release are considered different products. So Photoshop and Dreamweaver (for example) are different titles, as are CS5.5 and CS6, and each suite is a different title, so you could buy these all within one year if you wanted.
- Student & Teacher Edition software may be used on your privately-owned computer only.
- This software is not transferrable, meaning it may not be resold or given to others.
- You validate eligibility after placing your order to receive your unique serial number key.
- The traditional student editions cannot be upgraded to other education editions – but do receive Adobe’s discounted upgrade pricing to all regular commercial versions, -or- you can purchase another student edition if you still qualify. But the student price on a new release can be lower than the commercial upgrade price anyway, so you can just choose which is less expensive for you… Bottom line, this is another substantial savings and advantage of owning these editions – basically you will be getting your future releases discounted as well.
So why take your chances on the risks and malware in a pirated or bootleg version of CS6 when you can get the real deal – legitimate, supported, and completely safe – for up to 75% off, direct via instant download from Adobe?
Here’s a very helpful Student & Teacher Eligibility Guide & FAQ that should answer other questions you may have, including documentation requirements… Documents dated within the last six months are considered current.