Adobe Ships New “CC” Release – Upgrade Free or Download Trials
Six weeks after its official introduction, Adobe today has rolled out the the new “CC” release, with hundreds of new features and improvements across the product line centering on productivity, performance, and connectivity – see our guide to what’s new in CC…
“CC” is the successor to CS6, and it is available through the Creative Cloud only, via annual or monthly memberships. Adobe is now focusing all resources on the Cloud and explains why in this Open Letter to Customers. So all full members of Creative Cloud will automatically receive all the new CC apps (including free upgrades from CS6 to CC when desired) – and everyone else can download and run the free CC trials, which are fully functioning for 30 calendar days per computer.
If you’re not ready for the complete Creative Cloud right now and prefer just a single application like Photoshop CC, then you can get any standalone CC tool for $9.99 or $19.99 a month with what’s known as a Single-App Membership.
Importantly, these new CC programs are not web applications – they download and run locally on your desktop just like normal (on either Windows or Mac), and they do not require continual Internet access to use (just once every 99 days for an automatic online revalidation).
CC will install and run alongside CS6, CS5, or any older CS versions with no problem – all of Adobe’s releases coexist independently and run side-by-side. If you decide not to sign on for CC when the trial period is up, you can just uninstall it and your older tools will continue to run – or you can easily convert your CC trial to ongoing use without reinstalling the software.
80% of customers are now buying Creative Cloud, which is getting nearly 5-star reviews – but for those who want traditional (perpetual) licensing instead, Adobe says they will continue to sell last year’s CS6 release for an indefinite period of time (the CS6 free trials are also still available). However if you want to move up to the latest and greatest products, then Adobe is currently offering 40-60% discounted upgrade pricing to CC for all users of any CS tool going back to CS3 from 2007.
Education customers also receive significant savings of 60-70% off the regular CC prices, for students, teachers, and staff at all levels of school.
Just like CS6, Adobe CC will open and load/import all of your older CS project and data files. And going the other way, most major CC applications will also be able to save back down (export) to CS6 file formats for compatibility and interoperability.
Highlights of the CC Release
Here are some key elements of what’s now included in Creative Cloud:
- Hundreds of new features in new versions of the tools you love, including Photoshop CC, Illustrator CC, InDesign CC, Adobe Muse CC, Dreamweaver CC, Edge Animate CC, Adobe Premiere Pro CC, After Effects CC, and more. There are a total of 15 brand new CC desktop applications fully-integrated together in the complete collection.
- The new Creative Cloud Desktop App, which keeps your entire creative world in sync, organized, and up-to-date (replacing both the Adobe Application Manager and the Creative Cloud Connection).
- The ability to sync & restore your application settings (presets, brushes, shortcuts, workspaces, styles, fonts, colors, etc.) to Creative Cloud, so you can work the way you like on any of your computers – Mac or PC – and even run on two machines simultaneously.
- Integration with Behance, the world’s leading online creative community, with over 1.4 million members worldwide.
- The new Adobe Kuler iPhone app for capturing colors and making custom color themes.
- An update to Digital Publishing Suite, Single Edition, for publishing unlimited iPad apps to the Apple App Store.
- Over 200 exclusive new tutorials added to Creative Cloud Learn to help you get up and running quickly.
- The new Photoshop Lightroom 5.
As a Creative Cloud member, all of these just-launched apps and services are available to you immediately. Just download and install the apps from your Creative Cloud account (completely on your schedule), or use the new or updated services.
You can also continue to access, download, install, run and use the older CS6 versions through the Cloud as needed, because CS6 and all major versions of CC will be kept in a permanent archive by Adobe and always available for download to all subscribers.
And Coming Soon
One of the advantages of being a Creative Cloud member is that you get updates and new capabilities as soon as they’re ready. Adobe has also demoed and promised the following new features coming soon to Creative Cloud:
- File syncing on the desktop, including file versioning and private folder sharing. For now, you may continue to upload and share files via the browser, with desktop functionality and more features coming soon.
- Typekit fonts on your desktop. Quickly find the perfect fonts in the growing Adobe Typekit library, sync them locally to your computer, and have them immediately available for use in any desktop application. Full Creative Cloud members will soon have access to over 700 fonts (worth over $20,000 if purchased separately), installable with one click.
- Automated web graphics export from Photoshop CC, as tipped off at the MAX conference.
- A Creative Cloud app for Apple iOS to keep your entire creative world in sync and organized – on the go.
- Projects Mighty & Napoleon – a cool new hardware cloud pen and a digital (“short”) ruler, integrated with Creative Cloud.
You can find more details about all the new features on the Creative Cloud webpage and blog, or check out Adobe’s official press release. The extensive CC FAQ also answers many common questions, and don’t miss the broad collection of CC tutorials on Adobe TV.