Adobe Ships Acrobat XI Pro & Standard – What’s New and Better?
The Adobe Reader XI is out as a free download in 27 different languages, while Acrobat XI Pro and Standard are now available for purchase or (if you’d like to try the product out first on your own system) free trial download.
Celebrating its 20th birthday next year, you may wonder what new could Adobe add to this industry-standard product line to make it work better and more effectively, and enable you get your work done faster, saving time and money? The answer is, surprisingly, a lot…
Workers, whether in education, government, or commercial organizations, spend the majority of their time working with documents. As a result, enabling better efficiency with documents can have a significant impact. Even today with all our electronic communications, over 25% of the average workweek is wasted on documents-based challenges, according to IDC.
Some of the top frustrations from end-users in this area include time spent on searching through email attachments of various kinds, pulling together information that exists in different files together in one document, gathering and deciphering feedback, consolidating data from forms, getting important documents signed or protected, and other manual work associated with paper. If organizations were to address these areas and close the gap, it would be like hiring 21% more workers.
Let’s summarize how the new and improved Acrobat XI features align within the context of the four key challenges identified by IDC:
- Acrobat XI let you make quick updates directly to PDF files. Edit text and automatically reflow paragraph text. Crop, resize, or swap out images. Editing a PDF is intuitive and natural with the new, unified editing tool.
- If you want to repurpose existing PDF content and you don’t have the original file or the tools, you can simply export to PowerPoint, Word, and Excel without losing content, formatting, or layout – and even when OCR is needed. Saving PDF to PowerPoint is new in Acrobat XI.
- Actions can save users a lot of time by automating a set of document preparation tasks. Actions has been significantly improved to increase ease-of-use and flexibility. Also, it is easier for IT to be able to create and deploy these to their organization and centrally manage them.
- In addition to the rich capability of Shared Reviews in Acrobat that speed document review cycles, Acrobat XI includes improved integration with SharePoint and new support for Mac and SharePoint makes it easier to work with files in a SharePoint environment.
- Also new in Acrobat XI is the ability to accelerate approval processes and obtain instant e-signatures in place of hassling with fax machines and paper. This can save a lot of money.
- For building forms, Acrobat XI Pro will include the all-new FormsCentral desktop app which makes it easy to create brand new, professional-looking forms. It is integrated with the FormsCentral online service to further provide capabilities for form distribution, data collection, and analysis.
- Improved application security in Acrobat XI, protects your organization’s networks and data and reduces out-of-cycle patches that has been shown to lower IT costs.
- With Acrobat XI, it is easier for users to protect PDF in one simple step to prevent copying and editing within Acrobat and also in Microsoft Office through the Acrobat ribbon.
Working Across Devices
- Acrobat XI is touch-friendly and can be deployed on a tablet running Windows 8 or via virtualization through Citrix XenApp
- Adobe Reader XI provides a reliable platform for viewing and interacting with PDF. For example, sign a document electronically, fill and save forms and add comments to PDF files through Adobe Reader for mobile.
For a more detailed feature-by-feature listing and comparison, see: What’s the Difference Between Adobe Acrobat XI vs. X vs. 9?
The line-up for Acrobat XI includes two new releases – Acrobat XI Pro and Standard. Pricing for full and upgrade licenses is unchanged from Acrobat X. The family also includes two integrated services, FormsCentral and Echosign.
- Acrobat XI Pro contains the most robust feature set within the Acrobat family. It’s truly the complete solution for working with PDF documents and forms.
- Acrobat XI Standard is primarily focused on helping customers reliably create, edit and sign PDF documents.
- Adobe Reader XI is free and is the most reliable way to view and interact with all types of PDF files.
- FormsCentral helps customers create, distribute, and analyze forms or web surveys without writing a single line of HTML code. It allows them to share links via email, or post forms to their website. Users can submit responses online, and customers can collect and analyze them in real time.
- EchoSign helps customers sign, send, track, and file contracts electronically to close deals faster.
What’s the difference between the editions? See Acrobat XI Pro vs. Standard vs. Reader.
Note the Acrobat Suite is no longer featured within the family line – this product is not being offered for Acrobat XI.
Further, LiveCycle Designer will not be shipping with Acrobat XI – but don’t worry, because Adobe is offering LiveCycle Designer ES3 free for the asking once you upgrade to Acrobat XI, just so you can keep on using the programs you’re used to.
GET FREE ADOBE BOOKS
Sign up for our popular newsletter and we’ll send you 30 great ebooks to learn all major Adobe tools at no cost!